CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 17, 2008

What saved me today?

Oh my oh my. Today was the first day I could actually function a little normally after having surgery. I can't believe I can actually muster strength to do this, but we shall see how it goes eh?

With that being said, surgery was 4 1/2 hours long... 2 1/2 hours longer than necessary. But when you put the fact that they were doing an Explant AND an Implant, it makes sense that it took that long. Waking up from surgery was a horrible series of motions. I couldn't breathe, I was hot, I was throwing up, not to mention I had to pee something bad!!! Needless to say, after getting oxygen, and lovely drugs into my system I was able to settle down somewhat. It was CRAZY! I hadn't experienced waking up from surgery like that before and I can't say I'd like to go through that again. No no no. It was all sameday, so I was able to go home after being in the recovery room for an hour, then the "other" recovery room for another two hours. My oxygen level had to stay above 90 consistently before they would let me home and I was so tired so it was hard to breathe. Whenever the nurse would come and check on me, my brother was mouthing to me very dramatically and sternly with eyes wide open, BREATHE GIRL BREATHE! It was hard not to make it obvious that's what I was doing. haha. The nurse would ask me questions and I would just answer quickly as possible, and she'd end up saying, "My my you are one determined girl!!!" I was, I just wanted to get out of the hospital chair, into my normal clothes, and into bed. She fed me cold pudding and sprite so I could get something in my system and take some drugs for the road. Driving home sucked... and this is why. I missed out on more than half the conversation because I don't have my implant anymore. SAD!!! I'm ready for June 10th to come now.

I have been staying with my mom. You know when you are sick, sometimes you just want your mom to be around to take care of you? (or someone else with the mothering capabilities right?!) Well mom certainly has played the "mothering" role really well. It was so nice, and just chill to be taken care of. I'm grateful she has offered to help me out and take care of me. The first night home sleeping was really bad. I woke up a few times in the night with pain, and could only sleep on my back or one side. Going into Thursday, the second day, I hadn't slept, I was tired, I was in pain, and the meds I got was Tylenol 3 w. Codeine. YUCK!! Needless to say, the surgeon wouldn't give me another drug, so my mom and I had to drive back up to the U of U, about an hour drive to be seen by him. We waited in the room for 2 hours before we got in. Just to see him for 5 minutes! I didn't have any blood clots. That's good. I didn't have any infection. Too early to tell. But I definitely had a beautiful incision all over the side of my head and he was impressed with his work. haha. Geez. After getting a stronger prescription, we drove home in traffic. I was bawling for various reasons, the placement of where I think the implant is, how much of my hair really got shaved off, being tired, in pain and just wanting to go home and get this crap overwith. I figured out, I'm a big baby. A BIG BABY!!! I decided to buck up, and since we were in traffic, we stopped at Pei Wei for dinner. Yes, I actually went in, no make up, red eyes, and a hoodie pulled over my ugly hair. We ate dinner and got home. I had another night of uncomfortable sleeping. A sleeping pill didn't even help! What the... so night two, hardly any sleep at all. I woke up Friday miserable, nauseated, hungry, tired and I spent part of the afternoon throwing up. Lovely. My mom got some meds to stop the dry heaving, which put me into deep slumber of my own miserable existence for a while. I finally got myself up, took a bath in my moms jetted tub. (Dang sweet in my opionion!) I got dressed and my mom washed my hair under the sink, since I couldn't get my stitches wet yet. That felt really nice. I was so tired out, that I just ended up taking my pain meds, and crawling back to bed and went to sleep. Last night was a better night, woke up once! Progress!!!

So today I got up, took a bath again the in the sweet jetted tub. Made the bed, laid around and watched tv. So let me tell you, Saturday tv... boring! You want to know what saved me from continual boredom??? The ongoing showing on MTV of ....

Yes, that's right. So You Think You Can Dance. Amazing!!! It totally entertained me for about a good 4 hours and then Jalaine came over with her sister and baby girl. I would've stayed there all day long watching that show if she hadn't have broken me from the spell!! haha. I've always loved dance, and I think it is amazing when people can do all forms of dancing. It always makes me want to just get up and dance. Of course, I didn't necessarily feel that way today, but I found myself snapping my fingers, moving my hands and arms in certain motions, even my legs were moving to a certain extent. haha. This tells me, today I was feeling much much better indeed. Yip! I don't know whether or not I should be embarrassed that I'm writing about this show... but what the hey.... I even put a picture up just for you!!
So that's day 3 (or 4 is it?) for me recooperating from surgery. I have a feeling, it's only going to be going up from here!! Mom got me some real hair from the beauty supply store today so I could have some lovely extensions. This should be interesting whether or not I do it, whether or not it looks good etc etc. I need to find a hair girl that knows how to do extensions. But I will tell you something, I refuse to look like a white trash girl that has bad hair extensions in. The end.
Maybe I should write a blog about that when it happens. We shall see...........






4 comments:

Kim said...

Leslie-Lu, I'm sorry about all of your pain and trauma with your surgery! I hope you're doing okay and feeling better!!

hillary said...

I'm SO GLAD you're blogging!!!!!!!!! I don't think you're a baby - who wouldn't cry or be miserable after such a traumatic experience?! Feel better soon! I love you!!!

Sandy said...

Okay, first of all 'So You Think You Can Dance' is literally the most entertaining show on TV. You know that the new season started last night don't you? I hope you are watching the new stuff on Fox...I am totally addicted to that show and it makes me want to get up and dance too!

Next, I saw a documentary on HBO about the cochlear implants and wondered if you had seen it. It follows a husband and wife for a year - the daughter is making the film. It is really interesting.

Lastly, glad everything went well with the surgery and that the worst of the recovery is over!

Melissa@thebblog said...

Les-glad that the surgery went well. I'm so sorry that you had such a bad time with the recovery part! That is certainly no fun! Makes me wonder why people choose to undergo the knife!

I too like 'Dance' it's fast becoming a favorite along with my guilty pleasure - 'America's Next Top Model'!