CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Are you turned on yet?!"

It's finally here!! I've been waiting for a month for the activation of my 2nd Cochlear Implant. Needless to say, it's amazing at how fast time went... but I realized just how MUCH I missed out on without the implant!!! It was frustrating being in group conversations and not know what was being said. It was annoying that my music had to be turned up to a higher volume and I still didn't hear it as well. It was awkward meeting new people because my confidence level just wasn't up to par without hearing well. It was hard asking continuously, "what? what?" and having the image of me as an old woman yelling that! (I kid you not, that is true!) It was cause of many flashbacks when people would chase after me, calling my name... or when I couldn't understand the guy with the accent at the fast food counter... or when I thought someone said this when they didn't at all. WOW!!! I realized with not having my implant, just how FAR I've really come!!!! YAHOO!

Alot of people were asking me if I was "turned on yet?" Haha. That sounds like something else, it became an inside joke. "Hey Les, are you turned on yet?" "No", I reply... "It's just not happening soon enough, I can't WAIT to be turned on!" Upon my return from my appointment of the implant being activated, "Hey Les! You turned on?!" "YES! FINALLY!!" I say, "but man! It took 2 1/2 hours to get turned on! It was brutal!" hahahaha. I love it.

I'd been stressing out since the surgery where the placement of the implant on my skull was. I was worried it was too close to my ear, that it would affect the processors placing. (that's the thing that goes behind my ear, like my hearing aid does. Yes, people, new vocabulary with the Cochlear Implant!) I woke up the morning of activation... what I thought was a canker sore partially in my mouth/partially on my lip... was a freakin' COLD SORE!!!!!! UGH! It was throbbing, and swollen and hurt like no other. I got some Abreva and suffered all through work with this. Yuck! My uncle said to me, "Les, that's what you get for stressin'!!!" If you look at the picture, you can tell, I was not happy abou it AT ALL.


Lovely looking cold sore... it got bigger by the end of the day!!!






I thought I'd post some before and after pictures from both surgeries so you could see the difference with the two implants. I'm LOVING this one! It's awesome. No post sticking out of my head, the processor is shorter this time around, and it's brown! Almost matches my hair, that you can't really tell I have something there. (okay, not always, but it works!)

First Cochlear Implant surgery... with the "Post". This was a month after surgery. It was a bit red around it... and took about 3 to 6 months before it really healed. Yet, I continued with soreness the whole entire time with it. 15 months! YEOW!





This is the processor and transmitter for the First Cochlear Implant. The black part connected to the post. It was a pretty sturdy little thing! NEVER came off. Notice the processor... HUGE!





Second Cochlear Implant surgery. This was taken a month after surgery. Scary looking scars! I've got a half mohawk going on! haha. The red v that you see is where the post used to be. Dr. Shelton had to do what he called a skin lift, so he could cover up the area where the post used to be. No wonder my neck hurt after surgery. I had a neck lift! (I looked, the other side is not sagging... haha)


This is now what I'm wearing. The lovely brown processor, which is a little shorter than the previous one. I love it! This one takes two batteries, rather than three (which is why the previous processor was bigger!) The round brown thing you see is the transmitter type thing. I know there's another word for what it is really called, but I can't think of it. This part has a magnet in the center, so it attaches to the implant that's under the skull pretty well! Amazing Technology is! That scar bugs me just looking at it. haha. I hope it's not gross like that in the future and I'm READY for my hair to grow out!!!!!!!!


When I got to work today, I got flowers from my co-workers! I'd been hearing from a lot of them since I've been back to work, "Wow Les, I can tell a difference with you with out it. Ummm, you need your implant!" haha. It was so true. They've been a good support. As well as all my friends and family. I don't know what I would have done without any of you!!!! I've had my close friends listen to me and my worries and fears with this the whole month. Turns out, I was worried for no reason!!! It all worked out, just like they said it would!!! I have the greatest support. Thank you so much.

When I was having a little freak out about the placing of the implant, I was telling myself that I was crazy to be upset. I kept saying, "wow Les, you have so much to be grateful for! Who cares where it is! You'll be able to hear!! That's what matters!!!!!!" That was my mantra, it didn't always work, but it was very true. I am SO grateful, words cannot even describe it. As I was driving home from my appointment, I could NOT stop smiling. I could NOT stop being grateful to be able to hear. I could NOT stop listening the music I've missed hearing. I could NOT stop being emotional. What a blessing this has been! What a ride this has been! I'm the luckiest girl on earth for having this experience!!! I have no regrets. I have only happiness that I did this, scars and all! Best thing so far!


Me with my iPod on, with the volume halfway down! SCORE!! This makes me a happy girl. I don't know if you can tell or not. haha.
I truly am turned on now. You know, my implant is! Tee Hee.



5 comments:

Kim said...

Les,

Congrats! I'm so happy for you. This whole process has been long, but you're done and I'm so excited for you!!! Yeah!

LindaO said...

Les! That's SO exciting! I'm thrilled for you!

Jalaine Lassek said...

Yeah-You're turned on!!! We are so excited for you! I love being able to talk to you on the phone :) Lets go celebrate sometime with our favorite cafe rio or cookie place!

hillary said...

I'm SO SO happy for you! That's awesome!

La La Land said...

Yea for being turned on!!!! I am so happy for you! I can't wait to SEE you and TALK to you in person soon! No more Wednesday CC movies anymore, we're going to start going to the REAL thing together!!!!